Hey everyone. My name is Derek and I started this site because I think the world needs more interesting people. Most people I meet say “Wow, you’re so interesting! I wish I could be more like that.” Well those people and many more like them should become more interesting if that’s what they want to do.
Why do people think I’m interesting? Some things are hard to put into writing, but I’ll share a few things about myself to give you a little insight into who the author of most of these writings is…
- I double majored in Molecular Biology and Economics at Colgate University
- I won the Dos Equis Most Interesting Man in the World contest 3 years in a row
- I won a voting contest to be featured as an agent in a James Bond video game
- I’ve been to over 30 countries on 6 continents (I plan to visit Antarctica eventually) and have seen 6 out of the 7 Wonders of the World (I still need to go see Petra in Jordan)
- I speak a little bit of about 10 languages in varying degrees of fluency. (I try to squeeze a little foreign language practice into each day; often at the gym)
- I’ve had romances in most of those 30 countries. (Hey an interesting life is full of romance and intrigue)
- I’m a member of Mensa
- I’ve Skydived, Bungee jumped in Thailand and Costa Rica, Hang Glided off a mountain by the beach in Brazil, Climbed Huayna Picchu in Peru, White Water Rafted, Climbed to the top of the Badaling section of the Great Wall of China, explored underground rivers in Mexico, caves in Australia (I got bored and separated from my tour group and almost missed my flight home) and done many extreme things. (I hope and plan to do many more.)
- I’ve bartered with the shrewdest of Arab street merchants.
- Seduced a stewardess in Thailand into taking me out for dinner (Her father was the chief of police in one of their major cities 😮 )
- Randomly ended up joining a parade group for Carnaval in Trinidad walking the streets of Port of Spain for 2 days and entering in the parade group competion. (I was the only white American in the parade group, but they were nice and welcomed me with open arms. I think I was their mascot.)
- Have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo, and have trained heavily in Kung Fu, Karate, Aikido, Jiu Jitsu, Muy Thai, Tae Kwan Do, Fencing, Tai Chi, and a few others.
- Many other things that I will add as I think of them to put things in perspective, help to compare notes, and make you feel better about taking the time out to read and follow me.
As I said I plan to add to this, but just wanted to post something to start. I hope to serve as an example to others and also to learn from people that visit this site since the path to an Interesting life is a never ending jouney.